Millions of Americans are at risk for osteoporosis. They have bones that are porous meaning that their bones can be easily weakened. They can easily fracture even when these people are in accidents that appear to be negligible.
Osteoporosis is Incurable But Manageable
A huge percentage of people that suffer from osteoporosis are elderly. Most have this condition that makes the mass of their bone decrease. The condition is incurable but can be prevented or slowed down. There are instances where bone density can be improved and the disorder can be regressed significantly. With a few precautions, anyone including a senior citizen can live with this condition and prevent problems that might arise from it.
Four Essential Factors to Keep Your Bones Strong
• Aerobics and strength training can help enhance bone toughness. This will significantly scale down incidents of falling by bettering balance and enhancing coordination.
• Lots of calcium and vitamin D is good for building up bone tissue because calcium provides bones with firmness a daily intake of 1000 to 1200 milligrams can help enhance bone hardness. Foods that are rich in calcium include milk, yogurt, cheese, and juices and cereals that are fortified with calcium. Other essential bone building elements include Vitamin K, proteins, and manganese.
• Your home must be secured so that you don’t have unnecessary accidents. Proper lighting at home especially, for senior citizens, is essential and when you have to fetch items that are heavy or difficult to reach, you can have someone do that for you.
• Visiting your doctor to get bone density tests done is essential. This can help you determine the type of bone strengthening medication that you should take.
• You must stop smoking or avoid environments where people smoke because this is not good for your bones. Too much alcohol will lower your mass density and this might negatively affect your coordination and balance.
Other Approaches to Cope With Osteoporosis
• Heat and ice can be a very good approach to dealing with bone pain. A heating pad can be very effective in easing pain when placed on the areas that are affected. If your muscles are cramped, they will relax. After a while, you can alternate the heating pad with a cold ice pack. Alternating these two approaches to help ease inflammation will help lessen any form of pain before the osteoporosis condition becomes major.
• Medication can help a lot when you have the osteoporosis condition. If you have moderate pain, aspirin and other over the counter drugs can help. You have to speak to your doctor about taking such drugs regularly because they can have certain side effects.
• When you have relentless pain despite taking over the counter medication, you will need narcotic medication that can be taken on a short-term basis. Caution is essential because you can get hooked on the drugs. With the advice of your doctor, the drugs can be quite effective in easing unrelenting pain.
• Sometimes pain can be constant and you might require antidepressants to break down the pain. You will need a prescription from your doctor although antidepressants can take time before you begin to feel the effect. They can be a solution when you have really tried everything else in vain.
• Sometimes you might suffer pain after remaining inactive. When you feel too much pain and move less, the pain will increase because of inactivity. Physical therapy can be very beneficial to anyone with osteoporosis. A therapist will help you understand how to move cautiously and comfortably. They are experienced in helping people with bone difficulties.
In taking medication for osteoporosis, you should consult your doctor to help you determine what you need. Two varieties of medication are available. Antiresorptive medication helps to slow down bone loss while anabolic medication enhances the formation of bones.
You also need to determine your insurance needs because you need an insurance plan to cover for your medication. Getting rid of osteoporosis and bone pain completely can be difficult. The approaches mentioned above will help you cope with osteoporosis and live more comfortably.